Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Oatmeal at Sunrise



Upon reading my email, SparkPeople sent me an article about getting fiber in the morning with oatmeal! I thought "I already eat oatmeal...sometimes. I have packets of Quaker raisin n' spice!" but they had something better in mind. Ready for this?

Crock-pot oatmeal


Weird? I know, right? That's what I said!

I read the article, tips and the recipe. Sounded good, so I got out of bed and thought I'd give it a try! Here's my spin on it. Here we go:

1 cup Old-Fashioned Quaker Oats
2 cups 1% milk
1 cup finely chopped apples
1/2 cup Craisins dried cranberries
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 TSP butter or spread
1 tsp sugar (I ran out of brown sugar)
dash of salt
dash of nutmeg


Crock-pot it up. Stir well & cook for 'undetermined amount of time'

This part scared me. After reading the reviews (like I usually DON'T DO til LATER!) many people said theirs burnt after cooking 8-9 hours, like the recipe called for. Some cooked in only 90 minutes! 90 MINUTES?!!? I need sleep, man!

I put them on at midnight & checked at 1am to see how they were so far. They looked no different, so I decided to get some sleep.

8 hours later....

It came out strange. I didn't like, nor did I eat it. haha.....right.

I was a bit cranky that I had to keep checking on it all night. And I forgot the simplest thing about the meal choice:

I like my oatmeal soupy. Which I know is gross to most of you. But thick, soggy oatmeal doesn't do it for me. And it didn't have much flavor, despite me adding a bazillion extra things. Oh well, in the words of Jim Carrey in The Grinch Stole Christmas "BUT THAT'S WHAT THESE TESTS ARE FOOOR!"

Until next time!

Jess ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment