Friday, April 22, 2011

Resurrection Weekend


Tonight I have a lot of exciting things to tell you! Firstly, between Good Friday and Resurrection Sunday my life has been chaos. But God is good. I pulled an all-nighter Thursday evening, skipped my drawing (and favorite) class, turned in a hot-air balloon made out of aluminum cans, baked 2 cakes with my sister, went to a game night with fellow church members, cleaned all day Saturday, enjoyed an amazing service at Campus House, lunch with a friend's parents and 2 good friends, had a wonderful long nap and joined my sorority sister for dinner! Whew! That was crazy, but let's rewind back to the food!
Jasmine & I wanted to make 2 box cakes for our potluck dinner/game night with fellow Campus Housers. Jas whipped up a delicious Butter Pecan Cake with Cream Cheese frosting. She covered her cute little cake with Easter sixlets and a yellow peep in the middle! It was adorable!

I didn't have time for my cake, so I baked it, put it in the fridge and kept it for Sunday dinner. For my cake, I decided to bake a Hummingbird Cake! If you read Southern Living magazine (I don't, found it online), you might have stumbled upon it! I used a box for a shortcut, and that's helpful for students to cook with! It's also a healthier version, since I used less frosting. Here's my version of the recipe:


Hummingbird Cake

1 box classic white cake mix
1 jar(s) (8-ounce) crushed pineapple, undrained
1 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
1/3 cup(s) vegetable oil
3 large eggs, at room temperature
2 cup(s) (about 5 somewhat) ripe mashed bananas
1/2 cup(s) chopped toasted pecans
1/2 container cream cheese frosting

Extra ingredients I didn't use:

1 cup chopped pecans (if you cover the entire cake with frosting, sprinkle on top)
1 tablespoon(s) pure vanilla extract (I completely forgot to add this!)

Instructions

1. Preheat oven & prepare cake mix as directions show on the box.

2. Add cinnamon, pecans, and undrained crush pineapple.

3. Mash bananas in separate bowl and add them to mixture.

4. Butter 2 9-inch pans. Pour & bake as directed on box, for approx. 30 minutes.

5. Refrigerate baked cake (I did this because I didn't have time to make it before dinner.)

6. Flip cakes out of pan and spread cream cheese frosting over bottom cake. (my doing this resulted in the frosting oozing out the sides)

**Disclaimer: If you enjoyed over-the-top sweetness this recipe isn't for you. I only used a 3rd of the amount of frosting and it was super sweet for us. Considering that I forgot to add vanilla extract, the pineapple juice and almost ripe bananas made the cake sweet enough! Let me know how this cake works out for you!

Part II: Sunday Dinner, Chef Stephanie

Stephanie threw down on some awesome food this Sunday and shared it with Jas and myself. She baked mac'n cheese, candied yams, ham with pineapples, veggie stuffing, and greens. I provided the dessert, as usual! Dinner was fantastic! The greens were canned, so that's super cheap to cook. Normally, greens are fresh, and must be cleaned and cooked for hours. Canned yams are inexpensive and always good. One thing I loved about Stephanie's ham was that she used pineapple chunks. Pineapples in any form work well for baking holiday ham.

College doesn't mean you have to eat Ramen Noodles. We have been blessed with enough funds to make delicous things every once in a while!


http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/kitchens-hummingbird-cake-3154

No comments:

Post a Comment